A leading Spain-based olive oil company, wanted to revamp its India entry plan with a focus to expand
About the Client
The client is a leading olive oil brand with presence in more than 100 countries. It was already operating in India since 2000 through a distributorship model but needed a more effective strategy to tap into the full potential of the market.
Although the client had been present in India for a while, it had never been able to evaluate the actual potential and establish its brand and reach. Tecnova offered to design an effective re-entry strategy to tap into the growing demand.
Further, Tecnova went ahead to implement the new strategy and also supported the client in brand building to become a leading player.
TECNOVA’S APPROACH AND SOLUTION
Tecnova evaluated six target application/use categories for the client to have a comprehensive assessment of the opportunity that India offers. Further, it went ahead to understand consumer needs in all categories through focus group discussions in all the key cities (metros and tier-1). These cities were the main hubs to driver the demand for the client’s products due to consumer preferences and purchasing power, along with the presence of the right retail channels to push the product.
Post opportunity assessment Tecnova formulated and implemented a ramp-up plan for the client that involved:
- Business plan formulation
- Setting up client’s office in India – company incorporation and obtaining all regulatory approvals
- Headhunting the country head and other senior officials for India operations
- Distribution rollout
- Complete incubation support (for two years)
- Selection of logistics partners
- Formulating the company’s marketing plan for 3 years that included
- Short listing and appointment of PR Agencies
- Magazine and SMS advertisement campaigns
- Media advertisement with a leading celebrity, promoting their product and Sunday brunch (a Mediterranean Lifestyle)
- Below the line marketing such as sampling activities across leading malls and modern retail outlets
- Website development
- The client established its Indian subsidiary in 2010 and gained a competitive edge by being amongst the early movers.
- The brand building exercise helped client establish its brand as well as create a market for olive oil in India
- The client is currently the number two olive oil brand in India
- Robust distribution network – the company’s products are now available in about 65 cities across India through traditional and modern retail outlets.